Once you've registered
Keep your training up to date
Where your qualification is over 3 years old when you apply, you also need to have carried out 20 hours of training on letting agency work over the last 3 years.
Read full details about training and qualifications.
Changes in your company details
You must notify us as soon as possible in writing of any changes to the information provided, by emailing the Letting Agent Register team: LettingAgentRegulation@gov.scot.
Withdrawn (revoked) registration
The registration team will monitor approved letting agents. In some cases, it may be appropriate to withdraw registrations if
- your organisation doesn't comply with the Letting Agent Code of Practice
- you have committed an offence
- you've contravened a housing, landlord and tenant or debt law which indicates you may no longer be a fit and proper person to carry out letting agency work
The registration team will write to you to tell you that your registration may be revoked, and the reasons. The team will usually try to work with you to resolve the compliance issue.
You may be
- asked to submit an improvement plan, setting out the steps you intend to take to address the problems identified
- given specific conditions for you to meet
If you do not take the required steps to rectify the problem, the registration team may
- make an application to the First-tier Tribunal for Scotland (Housing and Property Chamber) in relation to non-compliance with the Code of Practice
- take action to remove you from the Scottish Letting Agent Register
- report you to Police Scotland and any other relevant authorities
The action will depend on the exact circumstances of the case and the seriousness of the breach.
Failure to comply with a letting agent enforcement order without reasonable excuse is a criminal offence and liable for a fine and conviction.
If your registration is revoked
- you will not be able to seek payment for work carried out from the date the case is finally determined
- you would be committing a criminal offence if you continue to do letting agency work
- the registration team will work with relevant authorities to inform landlords and their tenants, industry membership professional bodies and housing rights organisations
You have a right to appeal against a decision to be removed from the register.
Appeals must be made
- to the First-tier Tribunal for Scotland (Housing and Property Chamber)
- within 21 days of the date you were notified of the decision
For detailed information on appeals read the Regulation of Letting Agents Monitoring and Compliance Enforcement Framework.