BETA This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Training and qualifications

You must make sure that the appropriate people in your organisation hold a relevant qualification and where necessary additional training on letting agency work.

Please be aware of the time constraints when choosing a training provider, you cannot submit your application until all relevant staff have completed the required training.

Who needs the qualification in your company

If you are a sole trader you and everyone directly concerned with managing and supervising the day to day running of your business' letting agency work must hold a relevant qualification.

In a company, partnership or other body those who need training are:

  • whoever holds the most senior position in the organisation's management structure (unless they are not involved in the day-to-day running of the letting agency work)
  • every person directly concerned with managing and supervising the day-to-day running of the letting agency work

If you have offices which do not carry out letting work

If you have an office where letting agency work is carried out and nobody in that office falls into one of the categories above, you'll need to give us the name of at least one person in that office who will have the necessary qualification and training.

How to know if your qualifications are up to date

Where your qualification is over 3 years old when you apply, you also need to have carried out 20 hours of training on letting agency work over the last 3 years.

Training providers

There are 4 qualifications which are now acceptable:

Training provider Qualification Type of training
Propertymark ARLA Propertymark (ARLA certified) level 6 technical award in residential letting and property management Online self-study and exam at test centres
National Approved Letting Scheme (NALS) NALS Foundation Lettings Course Online self-study and exam
LETWELL and Landlord Accreditation Scotland (LAS) CIH level 3 certificate in letting and managing residential property Face to face training days and written assessments
Royal Chartered Institute of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS) MRICS qualification and Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) Various (only if certain condition are met) Further details on