BETA This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Important message : This site will be undergoing essential maintenance work on Saturday 18 August between 09.00 and 13.00. If you experience any issues accessing the site between these times please try again later.

Important message : If you want to pay the application fee by invoice, you will need to submit your application by 2 September. This is to ensure all invoices have been processed and paid before 1 October deadline. After 2 September you will be required to pay online

Who should register

If you do letting agency work in Scotland you are required by law to comply with a Letting Agent Code of Practice and to join this register.

Letting agency work generally means you either:

  • carry out work for a private landlord who wants to let their property out to a tenant
  • manage a property (including collecting rent, inspecting the property and arranging for repairs and maintenance) which is currently (or is planned to be) rented out to a tenant

To view the legal definition see section 61 of the Housing (Scotland) Act 2014


Make sure you’ve submitted your application by 1 October 2018. It is an offence to carry out letting agency work after this date if you have not applied to join the register.

Who may not need to register

Depending on your duties you may not need to register.

If you only:

  • manage properties you own
  • let and manage holiday lets
  • work as a contractor (plumber/electrician or similar)
  • prepare leases for clients as a solicitor
  • manage a family members property under power of attorney

If any of the above applies you're unlikely to need to register.

Find out more details and example scenarios on Who needs to register .